CRANKSHAFT SENSOR

• Harvey Hopkins
  • 1997 Dodge Van

Where is the crankshaft sensor on a 1997 dodge grand minney caravan

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 7:51 PM

• caradiodoc

Depends on the engine. Look on the transmission bell housing, right behind the rear cylinder head, driver's side for V-6 engines. It's near where the steering shaft goes into the rack and pinion assembly.

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 8:02 PM
  • Harvey Hopkins

Thank you ever so much.

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
  • caradiodoc

Did you find it? I should have mentioned that the air gap is critical for proper operation. New sensors from the dealer use a thick paper spacer stuck on the end to set the gap. It slides off as soon as the engine is started, and is done doing its thing. Some aftermarket replacement sensors have a thin plastic rib molded onto the end to set the gap. They partially wear away during engine operation. To reinstall a used one like that, you are to cut the remaining rib off, then use the paper spacer.

If you don't use the spacer and push the sensor in as far as possible, it will likely break from rubbing on the ring on the flex plate. If you get cocky like I did, you might shove it in all the way, then pull it out 1/16" and hope for the best. That worked ok on a half dozen vans that I replaced the transmissions on, but I heard the last one developed an intermittent stalling condition two weeks later and a new crank sensor solved it. Coincidence that the sensor just failed? Probably not.

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 11:31 PM