97 LX WON'T CHANGE OUT OF 1ST GEAR

1997 Chrysler Cirrus

mzpo

August, 4, 2011 AT 12:53 AM

Automatic tranission 1997 chrysler cirrus lx v6 will not change out of first gear. I just had a new ignition switch put on and now it won't change out of first. What could the problen be?

caradiodoc

August, 4, 2011 AT 1:08 AM

It's actually stuck in second gear. That's "limp" mode that allows you to drive slowly to a repair shop. You must turn the ignition switch off and restart the engine to get it out of limp-in. As a general rule, if it goes right to second gear as soon as you shift into gear, the problem is sensor-related. If it goes to limp-in during or right after an up-shift, it is more likely to be slippage in one of the clutch packs. You

mzpo

August, 4, 2011 AT 1:38 AM

Thank you, I had to drive it 32 miles home that way I hope I didn't mess up the transmission. And I'm praying like crazy I won't get charged a arm and leg just to have it looked at let alone fixed.

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma