97 CHRYSLER CIRRUS LX WON'T CHANGE OUT OF 1ST GEAR

• mzpo
  • 1997 Chrysler Cirrus
  • automatic

Automatic tranission 1997 chrysler cirrus lx v6 will not change out of first gear. I just had a new ignition switch put on and now it won't change out of first. What could the problen be?

Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 12:53 AM

• caradiodoc

It's actually stuck in second gear. That's "limp" mode that allows you to drive slowly to a repair shop. You must turn the ignition switch off and restart the engine to get it out of limp-in. As a general rule, if it goes right to second gear as soon as you shift into gear, the problem is sensor-related. If it goes to limp-in during or right after an up-shift, it is more likely to be slippage in one of the clutch packs. You

Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 1:08 AM
  • mzpo

Thank you, I had to drive it 32 miles home that way I hope I didn't mess up the transmission. And I'm praying like crazy I won't get charged a arm and leg just to have it looked at let alone fixed.

Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 1:38 AM