ENGINE WARNING LIGHTS ARE BLINKING

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

giacoyle

September, 27, 2011 AT 3:07 AM

Why would the Service Engine Soon light be blinking on and off and Engine running rough and erratic in my 1997 Chevy Lumina?
1. The service engine soon light blinks on and off. This is not normal for my vehicle. When the light came on a couple times in the past it has always stayed on.

2. The engine runs rough and surges.

3. Headlights dim and brighten

4.I put washer fluid in, coolant, and checked the oil, transmission, and power steering fluid this morning.

mhpautos

September, 27, 2011 AT 3:10 AM

Run a scan and check for any unresolved fault codes and check the alternator out put make sure the reading is around 13.5 -14 V there abouts.

giacoyle

September, 27, 2011 AT 5:12 PM

Do u think it's a good idea to drive it?

mhpautos

September, 27, 2011 AT 10:26 PM

Only to get the tests done, as if over charging you can do damage to sensitive equipment.

wolfenpixels

September, 28, 2011 AT 10:58 PM

If the check engine light is flashing it means a major emmisions componant is suffering. Make sure the alternator and battery is good, but most signs are its a major misfire causing the engine to run lean or rich: )