1ST: NO OIL PRESSURE / 2ND SLIGHT AMOUNT OF OIL IN COOLING SYSTEM

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

Sydtracked1

June, 29, 2012 AT 7:14 PM

I have a 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1 with sudden oil pressure (as in none) It was running fine & when I came to a stop to back in to my drive way it died. I restarted it & it barely had any RPMs & not even enough power to back up the curb. The oil light was on & there was valve train clattering noise (upper cylinder noise) Yes the oil level is fine, 250,000 miles on original motor. Could it be the oil pump? Any ideas?

2nd question: & probably not related to the zero oil pressure, for the past year I have noticed oil in the cooling system, not much but slight. The pan oil is fine (not milky at all) Am perplexed on this matter also?

June, 29, 2012 AT 7:44 PM

1. No oil pressure-if it was verified by using a mechanical gauge-could be the oil pump gave up and engine bearings wiped out

2. Oil in cooling system if its actually oil in it-could be a blown headgasket, cracked head or block and an intake manifold leak-you can pressure test the cooling system and see if it'll hold pressure if not there's a leak somewhere

Sydtracked1

June, 29, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

I dint run the motor for even a minuet after the sudden oil pressure loss. So what the possibility that I didn t damage the motor & changing the oil pump may take care of the problem? Guess I would just have to find out? But less than a min might not have caused damage?

June, 29, 2012 AT 8:13 PM

Dunno the possibilities-you just have to open it up and check the pump clearances and mike out the end bearings-could be clogged pick-up screen/oil galleries, etc hard to say

Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230