CHEVROLET BLAZER LT 1997 4X4 SUV

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

Anonymous

November, 12, 2012 AT 10:50 AM

Chevrolet Blazer LT 1997 4X4 suv. My 4X4 system is broken and I don't want to repair it. Everything is stuck in rust. The system is always leaking so I lose all my front differential fluid between the passenger CV axle and the seal of differential shaft. If I remove the 4X4 fuse and unplug the switch in the dash for the 4X4 is it OK if I roll without fluid in the front differential since I won't use the 4X4 anymore? Thank you to help out a poor guy.

Wrenchtech

November, 12, 2012 AT 11:01 AM

No, those parts still turn and wear. This could lead to total destruction, seizing or imploding of the differential

Takwakin

November, 12, 2012 AT 11:24 AM

So the CV axles still turn because they are connected to the wheels but not connected to the differential in a certain way so they turn freely. As long as the 4X4 locking mechanism is not engaged the CV will turn freely inside but the front differential shaft is still turning with the differential ring and pinion gear? If I remove the front differential shaft that connect the front differential to the transfer case could it solve my problem?

Thank you again.

Wrenchtech

November, 12, 2012 AT 11:32 AM

Takwakin

November, 12, 2012 AT 12:04 PM

Thank you anyway.

CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
CV Axle Replacement