I ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED THE DIFFERENTIAL LOCK BUTTON AT HIGH SPEED. DID I DAMAGE THE VEHICLE?

1996 Toyota Rav4

FreeSkierChica

June, 30, 2012 AT 2:01 PM

I have a 96 Toyota RAV4. I was driving about 75-80 mph, and accidentally pressed the differential lock button which set of some kind of beeping sound (the button is directly below the AC.). I tried pressing the button again, but the sound continued. I pulled over, stopped, and pressed the button again. The sound stopped, and everything seemed OK. The vehicle "felt" normal when driving, and there were no unusual sounds. A few miles later, I pulled into the garage and noticed a faint smell somewhat like burnt motor oil. The vehicle has a slow oil leak, but due to what happened, I'm a bit paranoid that I may have damaged something.

June, 30, 2012 AT 2:42 PM

The fluid may have overheated from the incident. I would have it changed so there will be no furhter damage done.

FreeSkierChica

June, 30, 2012 AT 2:47 PM

Thank you! I will have the fluid changed.

Axle Seal Replacement
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250