1996 TOYOTA CAMRY CRANK SHAFT SEAL

• dave2984
  • 1996 Toyota Camry
  • automatic

I have a Toyota camry 1996 and I have oil leaking in the front crankshaft seal im just wondering that do I have to take the timing belt off to get to the crank shaft seal and how to keep the cam shaft from moving when I change it cause I don't want to get it off timing for the valves purpose

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 AT 6:01 PM

• saturntech9

The seal is behind the crankshaft gear set the timing marks up before you remove the belt amd the cam should stay in place. Also make sure the timing marks are all lined before putting the belt back on.

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 AT 6:28 PM
  • dave2984

Ok is there any chance in bending the valves when doing this work

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 AT 7:04 PM
  • saturntech9

There is always a chance of that with a interference fit engine. Once the belt is off you can turn the crank gear 60 degrees past the timing mark to move the pistons away from the the valves. Just make sure you move it back just before you put the belt back on.

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 AT 9:00 PM
  • dave2984

Ok thanks one last question could I use an oil sealant and would it work and for how long?

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 AT 6:19 AM
  • saturntech9

I would never use one they usually dont work and I dont like putting them in the oil.

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 AT 7:40 AM