I HAVE SMOKE COMING FROM THE EXHAUST

1996 Saturn SL2

polish prince

October, 30, 2011 AT 11:08 AM

I have a 96 saturn sl2 and recently I started the engine and there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust, when I read the code it said a misfire in number 3 cylinder. I also had fuel leaking from behind the exhaust manifold landing on the oil pan. Co

saturntech9

October, 30, 2011 AT 3:30 PM

What is the exact code number?It will be a P and a four digit number?Also what color is the smoke?Is the smoke only after starting it?Or does it smoke all the time?

polish prince

October, 30, 2011 AT 4:42 PM

The code isP0303- cyl 3 misfire, smoke appears white and fuel is coming out of the tailpipe and pooling on my garage floor plus still running out from behind exhaust manifold.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 30, 2011 AT 6:16 PM

White smoke usually indicates coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. Check compression to that cylinder and check for coolant usage.

polish prince

October, 30, 2011 AT 7:00 PM

I think I got it figured out. I may have a bad coil pack that is causing that cylinder not to fire so the fuel has no place to go but out the exhaust manifold. Gonna pick up an ohm meter and check resistance

saturntech9

October, 30, 2011 AT 8:23 PM

With car idling carefully pull off the number 3 plug wire off the spark plug see if you have a nice blue spark. Let me know what you find.

polish prince

October, 31, 2011 AT 11:28 PM

Changed the coil pack and getting spark but code still reads misfire cylinder 3. My fuel is getting into the exhaust manifold and its leaking out where the manifold and lead pipe are connected. Its seems like I have something wrong internally with that cylinder causing fule to leak through. Was going to take off valve cover but not sure if I will find anything wrong. Any ideal what it could be?

saturntech9

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:23 AM

Low compression on cyl number 3 go to auto zone and rent a compression tester. Let me know when you have it and I willgive you directions on doing the compression test.

polish prince

November, 2, 2011 AT 12:25 AM

Checked compression got about 150 on first 7 cranks according to my haynes manual. Cranked again and got 225 psi. The plug in that cylinder has strong gas odor. The other cylinders checked compression at 175psi. 180 for service is normal according to haynes. Now I am starting to think the fuel injector on 3 cylinder is malfunctioning flooding the cylinder. When I took the electrical connection off that injector it looked like there was oil in the connection. Tomorrow I am going to qtip the oil out and try starting the engine with the electrical connection undone to see if fuel still comes through exhaust

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2011 AT 12:57 AM

Try switching the injector with a different one to see if the problem follows the injector.

saturntech9

November, 2, 2011 AT 4:02 AM

I have seen a few of those injectors flood a cylinder out pretty bad. If you had a fuel pressure gauge and a injector pluse tool I could tell you how to do a injector flow test to see if the injector was pumping too much fuel.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Replace Muffler
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus