WILL THE ENGINE RUN AT ALL IF THE TIMING IS OFF.

• richdieter
  • 1996 Saturn SL1

I decided to install a new head after finding out the hard way (I bought it like this) the head was cracked. I have the new head bolted on, with a new timing chain and chain sprockets. The timing chain cover is on. I only work on the car on weekends when I have time. I should get it back together soon!
Anything else to watch out for when reinstalling the other parts?

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 11:18 PM

• saturntech9

So is the engine timed correctly?Do you need timing mark diagrams etc?That is a inference engine if your wrong and your off enough teeth on the timing chain setting it will bend valves.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 12:17 AM
  • richdieter

Thanks for answering.
I think the timing is correct. I tried to get the engine to TDC before I removed the old head. Being an amatuer, I don't know if I did it correctly. I drew diagrams of the two old sprockets before removing them. But the new sprockets looked different than the old ones. Anyway, I matched the location of the valves on the two heads before installing the head so the new head is in the exact same position as the old one. THe chain went to the exact position I wanted it to go to. If the timing is off, it ain't off by much!

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 1:16 AM
  • saturntech9

On the cam you line up the 3/16" dowl hole in the cam sprocket and the head with a drill bit. On the crank the timing mark on the gear lines up with the timing mark on the block. Then the two silver links go on the bottom of the crank gear and the one silver link lines up with the dot on the cam gear. Like in the diagram I posted. After that your home free on everything else. Was there oil mixed with the coolant?

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 2:11 AM
  • richdieter

Yes, there was oil in the coolant. I had a mechanic inspect the car. He's the one who told me the head was cracked.
Thanks for the diagram. I hope I dont need it.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 2:26 AM
  • saturntech9

Those are known for that when the heads crack you have to replace everything not just the head. You have to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses all the heater hoses the coolant bottle the thermostat the water pump. Then flush the heater core radiator etc.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 2:33 AM
  • richdieter

Good news. I got this 96 Saturn back together, and it ran and sounded great. I ran it for about 30 seconds. Checked and filled the water and oil levels and started it again. Then it ran about a minute, very smoothly, and then it died.
It acts like it 's starved for fuel. Recommendations?

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 10:16 PM
  • saturntech9

What is your fuel pressure?Have you checked your coolant temp sensor yet?Any codes?

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 12:47 AM
  • richdieter

Havent checked any of that. Thanks for the tips.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 4:07 AM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome keep me posted.

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 7:39 PM
  • richdieter

I think the two wires got pulled out of the coolant temp sensor when I installed the new head. There is a blue and a yellow wire. I stuck them back into the sensor before I started it the first time. Does it matter where the blue and the yellow wire go?

Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 10:54 PM