GUYS

• Huntington1234567
  • 1996 Mercury Villager

Hi, guys.

I have a 1996 Mercury Villager, and for the life of me, I cannot find where the "starter relay" is at, so I can replace it.

I sent along a picture of under the hood.

1) Battery area
2) Passenger front fender area
3) In the cabin, driver side, under & left of the steering wheel

If you can, please point out where I can find it in the picture, and if it's not in one of the numbered areas, can you let me know where it is?

Thank you!

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 12:58 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Check the diagram

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 1:02 AM
  • Huntington1234567

Awesome. You gave me a diagram of the three branches of the United States Government. Sideways.

Could you look at the pic and read the indepth question I asked, now, and help me, please?

Thank you.

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 1:25 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

I read the question the first time. The starter relay is in the under hood fuse box as the diagram says.

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 1:31 AM
  • Huntington1234567

Okay. Roy. Nobody understands that stuff, unless they went to mechanic's school. If I could understand that diagram you posted, (which I appreciate, ) I would not be here.

Now, describe as you would to an alien or a child where the starter relay is, in a 1996 Mercury Villager. That would help.

Thanks, again. To anyone who can help.

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 1:43 AM
  • Mr_Bigplanz

It doesn't have a relay, per se, like a fuel pump relay. For the starter system, the solenoid is the relay, in that the small amount of voltage from the ignition switch triggers the big contacts between the battery and starter motor to close. I have the factory service manual and there is what Nissan/Mercury calls the 'inhibitor switch'. This is what is called a 'neutral safety switch' on most cars. It is located on the front of the transmission, near the bottom and has a big wiring harness connected to it. Hope this helps.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 4:53 PM