MERCADES BENZ C

1996 Mercedes Benz 280

eddie gebele

November, 18, 2010 AT 11:52 AM

You are not going to believe this. The cable for the engine hood has come off. As you would guess not at the handle latch. It came off under the hood by the locking mechenanism. HOW do I get this hood open? I'm in the Philippines and havecalled Benz dealers in Manila. Thet haven't got a clew either. Got all kinds of excusess, but no jnowledge. Not even maint books. Gave them everything including chassy # WHICH begins 202022. HOWever if I drive it to Manila they are willing to look at it. Needless to say I do not live anywhere close to Manila. It has one lock located right in center of hood. Right under mercades hood symbol. Radiator and A/C condnser prevent me from just going between grill work. Yes, have tried to pull cable alone. Very free moving, just not attached to anything. Love to hear what you guys got in mind. Have to put in oill sometime. Edie

Ernest Clark

November, 18, 2010 AT 11:57 AM

You'll have to go through the grill or underneath the car to gain access to the latch mechanism.

Of course this won't be easy and you'll have to find which tool to use by trial and error. But on the latch is a trip mechanism where the cable connected to in the first place.

If you can get a long enough screw driver/prybar/pick/etc, you'll be able to trip the lock.

Good luck.

mhpautos

November, 18, 2010 AT 12:00 PM

Hi there, bit of a problem this, as the locking mechanism is well hidden from below and through the grille is not a real option either, I would get a panel shop to have a look, I think that viewing the problem first hand may be easier than doing this one on line.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma