I HAVE A 96 MIATA WITH A 94 ENGINE REPLACEMENT ...

1996 Mazda Miata

Anonymous

November, 13, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

I have a '96 miata with a '94 engine replacement (that was the one my mechanic got, I had no choice in it) I am having a problem with it clearing its monitors for the readiness tests and there for even though I pass emissions AND my check engine light is OFF, I fail for it being "on" and a local smog place says I have monitors I need to clear before it can pass. Will it never pass because I have a 94 engine and a 96 OBD II?

November, 14, 2012 AT 1:06 AM

The engine should not be a problem if the sensors/system for the 96 is reused.

There monitors would become ready only after certain conditions are met and these are monitored after start stop driving conditions when no faults are recorded and system is working correctly.

Try a 40 minutes test drive under the following conditions. The time does not really matter, just an approximate period would do.
While doing test, avoid abrupt accelerations and do not shift to neutral when slowing down.
15 minutes on the highway, constant and medium speed driving.
10 minutes in city driving.
10 minutes highway driving.
Recheck monitors.
Repeat test drive if necessary.

Btw do not disconnect battery not perform any resettings of PCM to enable the monitors to be ready.