TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLEM

1996 Honda CRV

RyanBrowne

June, 6, 2012 AT 5:29 PM

Hi, I had my timing belt replaced on my 1996 Honda CRV about a year ago. When I picked up the car from the service department, I started the car and it blew a bunch of white smoke out of the exhaust. I drove it around the corner and the white smoke stopped coming out. I thought everything was ok. (The car never smoked before the timing belt change). Now when I sit at a redlight for more than a minute, white smoke blows out the exhaust. Is there something the service department did wrong when they replaced my timing belt? Thanks. Ryan

June, 6, 2012 AT 6:19 PM

Timing belt replacement should not affect the engine thus and apart from the smoke, are there any other issues such as coolant losses etc?

If the smoke is slightly grey (bluish) thst is most probably due to worn valve seals which can deteriorate due to age and mileage.

RyanBrowne

June, 6, 2012 AT 7:11 PM

No coolant loss that I know of. The smoke looks white as far as I can tell. The engine had a head job at 150,000 miles, and has worked fine till I got the timing belt changed. Thanks

June, 7, 2012 AT 1:21 PM

Slightly bluish is oil burning but if it is completely white, that should be water.

Monitor the engine oil level and see if there are any consumption.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX