1996 HONDA ACCORD TIMING, HOW TO CHECK AND CHANGE IT.

• Justnakenny
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD

How do I check if the timing is right on my 1996 honda accord and how do I change it if it's wrong. Yes, I have a timing light and I cannot figure out how to adjust the distributor. All I can find on the distributor are 3 anchor bolts that connect it to the engine. Thank you

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 11:14 PM

• KHLow2008

Loosen the 3 anchor bolts and turning the distributor clockwise would retard the ignition timing. Turning it anticlockwise would advance the ignition timing.

Timing mark is located on crank pulley and the correct timing should be the center mark of the 3 lines ( would be marked Red if the paint is still there).

+1
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 3:26 PM
  • Justnakenny

I loosened the 3 bolts and the distributor would only move about a 1/16 of an inch, which equals about the rest of the opening for the bolt to go thru. When I looked at the marks on the crankshaft, there are 3 of them. The firstone being TDC [ I Think ' and then one to left of the about 1/2 inch away and then the third one being to the left of that about another 1/2 inch. The one that is all the way left has the red paint on it and that one is roughly and I have to say roughly because I can't see it, almost right under the needle. I had to disconnect the wiring that went to the distributor inorder to get to the third bolt and now I have a Check Engine Light . Do you know how I can get rid of it?

Also, when I slowly ease the engine rpm's up to 1500-2200 I hear what I would call larger bearings knocking or floating or rattling, until the rpm's get to 2300. I can almost ALWAYS hear what sounds like valve chatter to me, which is what made me want to look at the timing in the first place. HELP. Thank you.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 7:32 PM
  • KHLow2008

You need to retrieve the trouble code and find out what is causing the CEL to come on. Get a free scan done at Autozone and let me known the exact code.

Have you checked the valve clearanes?

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 10:55 AM
  • Justnakenny

Hello, I'm sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you.

Autozone doesn't do the engine check light test here anymore, so, I went ahead and bought the little scanner. It's a cheap one, but it did tell me that it was a P0118 trouble and it allowed me to clear it.

I also look at a friends 1991 Honda today and his distributor had holes that were oval, which allows him to adjust the timing, where as mine has holes that are just slightly larger than the bolt that goes thru them. Meaning that there is no way for me to adjust it back and forth.

I was told that I can't adjust the valves, so no I haven't pulled the valve cover off to check them. During idle it sounds fine, it's not until I raise the rpm's up that I can hear them and I do mean hear them, until I get up to about 55 or 60 mph. In other words I hear them ALL of the time, when I'm in town and driving around. It sounds like they're not getting enough oil to me.

Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 2:40 AM
  • KHLow2008

What engine do you have in your vehicle?

For 1996 models, valve clearances and ignition timing are adjustable. The description of the distributor indicates it is from a later model.

Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 11:30 AM
  • Justnakenny

Now I really feel stupid, because the only thing I can find about what kind of an engine it has in it, is under the hood where it says that it's in the THN2 family. And another place on the door that says that it was made 1/96. It does tell me that the valve lash is.026 on the intake and.030 on the ehaust on the first sticker. And that's all I can find. It also says that it's a VTEC on the valve cover.

Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 9:30 PM
  • KHLow2008

At front of on engine block, just under the top radiator hose there is a flat surface with some alphabets and numbers. On it is the engine code and serial. Let me know what it says.

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 3:23 AM
  • Justnakenny

F22B1
3454290

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 4:49 PM
  • KHLow2008

For your model, the ignition timing is controlled by the PCM so adjustment is not possible.

If the igntiion timing is incorrect, it could mean the timing belt had not benn installed correctly.

Valve lash is adjustable. I would recommend removing the valve cover to check the condition. If the lifters are not getting sufficient lubrication, it could mean the oil passages could be partially clogged resulting in abnormal wear. Removing the valve cover would allow you to have a visual inspection of the condition of components.

Monday, December 6th, 2010 AT 7:23 PM
  • Justnakenny

Thank you very much for helping me and being so patient with me. I had a friend look at it and now it sounds a lot quieter.

Take care and God Bless.

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 11:44 AM