I NEED HELP PUTING IN MY DISTRIBUTOR

1996 Ford Probe

Joshkunath

April, 19, 2012 AT 7:25 PM

1. I put the distributor in
2. I set the timing to zero
3. I set the ignition rotor to 1
4. I put the the wires and plugs in
5. It wouldnt start

Distributor Popping

April, 19, 2012 AT 7:50 PM

Remove the distributor-put engine no.1 piston on its compression stroke/TDC align timing marks at crank pulley to TDC/0 install distributor making sure the rotor is pointing to the no.1 cap tower then adjust the ignition timing to specification.

Joshkunath

April, 19, 2012 AT 8:28 PM

How exactly do you adjust the ignition timing?

Joshkunath

April, 19, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

So all I need to do is.
Take out the distributor,
Then set the Crank Pulley to zero,
Then set the rotor facing the 1 tower
Then adjust the ignition timing?

April, 20, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

You need to verify that no.1 piston is on the compression stroke/TDC-this is the most important thing to do 1st

April, 20, 2012 AT 2:01 AM

THESE GUYS HERE WILL SHOW TECHNIQUES FOR INSTALLING A DISRIBUTOR--THEY EXPLAIN STUFF PRETTY WELL. THE HOWS AND WHYS ARE SOMETIMES EZer TO UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU CAN SEE WHAT'S GOING ON

YOU MUST SORTA INTERJECT YOUR CAR INFO IN PLACE OF THEIRS

PART 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2X9mSSlQY

PART 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=FHX1yXVyIMg

KEEP US POSTED WITH YOUR PROGRESS

HOPE THIS HELPS

Joshkunath

April, 20, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

Well I have one more question. If I didnt mark the exact position of the distributor do I just need to set it to zero? Or do I set it before zero?

April, 20, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

WATCH BOTH VIDEOS FULLY

THEY EXPLAIN HOW TO INSTALL IF YOU ARE DOING A QUICK SWAP AND HAVE REFERENCES TO GO BY

THEY ALSO EXPLAIN HOW TO INSTALL IT (A LITTLE MORE INVOLVED) IF YOU JUST WALKED UP TO THE ENGINE AND THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS ALREADY OUT---AND NO ONE MADE REFERENCE MARKS

SPECIAL ATTENTION TO "COMPRESSION" AND WHERE TO POINT THE ROTOR BUTTONREMEMBER FIRING ORDER IS EITHER IN A CW OR CCW DIRECTION WHEN INSTALLING THE WIRES

ON MANY APPLICATIONS IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH DISTRIBUTOR CAP POST #1 POINTS TO, AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN SYNC WITH TOP DEAD CENTER AND YOUR FIRING ORDER STARTS AT THAT POINT (TEXT BOOK PICTURE PERFECT, WILL MAKE YOU DROP THE DISTRIBUTOR IN POINTING AT A CERTAIN DISTRIBUTOR CAP TOWER)----THE DISTRIBUTOR DOES NOT CARE WHERE IT STARTS IN THE ROTATION---BUT #1 MUST FIRE AT TOP DEAD CENTER OF NUMBER ONE PISTON--THE OTHERS JUST FOLLOW ALONG FOR THE RIDE

A QUICK ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION---NUMBER 1 SPITS---ROLL CRANK OVER LESS THAN A 1/2 TURN TILL TIMING MARKS ARE ON ZERO (THIS IS TDC)----IF YOU ROLL CRANK MORE THAN 1/2 A TURN. YOU ARE TOO FAR AND ARE NOW ON THE EXHAUST STROKE---START OVER----WHEN YOU ARE THERE---DROP DISTRIBUTOR IN POINTING TOWARD NUMBER ONE PLUG WIRE

CALL BACK IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS

LETS US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT

Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Chevrolet
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500