CAN ANYONE HELP ME... IM STUMPED..

1996 Ford Probe

cory_lambert

July, 5, 2012 AT 5:16 PM

Alright, I have a 1996 ford probe. And its not running right. It has a rouph idle. It has a rich gas smell. And when I try to accelerate it stalles out. Ive checked the fuel pressuer and its suposta be 39-47 pounds. At idle it is 39 when I give it gas it drops really low to like 5-15. Ive replaced. The fuel pump, filter. Maf sensor, cat, tps, plugs, wires. And its still not fixed. When I drive the car you have to ease into the accelerating to get it to go. It starts suptering going up hill. Can anyone help? Im stumped.

Engine Miss

July, 5, 2012 AT 5:20 PM

From all your work, assuming it is correct, I would look at the injectors. The fuel pressure is way too low when trying to speed up.

cory_lambert

July, 6, 2012 AT 2:15 AM

Could it be the o2 sensor? If soo which one. The rich gas smell clogged my last cat. So I replaced it. Would it have killed the o2 sensor in the prosses? I think the fuel pressure is fixed but I havent tested it since I changed the filter. The filter was really bad so I asumed it was fixed.

July, 6, 2012 AT 2:23 AM

O2 sensors do not get killed. They only read and send signals to the computer. Is there any codes in the system?

You said the fuel pressure drops? Now it is fixed? Which is it?

Did you do a compression test? Back pressure test?

Start back at basics here before throwing anymore parts at it

cory_lambert

July, 6, 2012 AT 2:35 AM

There was two codes last time I ran the test. The maf sensor and the iat sensor. I replaced the maf sensor, the mecanic ive been working with said the iat sensor is inside the maf sensor so they should both be fixed. Altho the check engin light is still on. Might have to just clear the maf code. But I dont have the scanner. I expected it to be fixed then because a bad maf explaines all the symptomes. But when I put it on it does the same thing. I still dont understand why it runs worse when the car heats up. When it is cool it idles fine but when it get warm it missfires

microedit

August, 31, 2012 AT 1:25 AM

It is a clogged cat. Convertor, but if you changed it then it won't reclog (when it clogs it becomes a solid). Replace engine computer. But first check that it is getting spark. Changing plugs may not fix it. Unplug each one while engine idles (after 15 minute warmup) If engine loses power then that plug is good. Clean engine to battery grounds also, that may be why some plugs aren't firing.

cory_lambert

August, 31, 2012 AT 2:18 AM

The plugs look good. (Carmel on one side white on the other) but the spark is really orange. I was told it could be the icm, what do you think?

cory_lambert

August, 31, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

The last time I hocked it to the scanner it said the egr valve was bad. I think its geting stuck open. But the egr valve wouldent cause the weak spark.

microedit

August, 31, 2012 AT 12:57 PM

Idle has to be adjusted within range before ecu can automate the idle. Same has timing in the engine has to be in range manually before ecu can adjust it 15 degrees either way.