WHEN I TURNED THE IGNITION OFF MY TRUCK STAYED ...

1996 Dodge Truck

Anonymous

December, 21, 2012 AT 3:54 AM

When I turned the ignition off my truck stayed running

Wiring Issue?

DrCranknWrench

December, 21, 2012 AT 6:52 AM

It is probably doing what is called, "Dieseling". This is from carbon desposits on the psitons being large enough to stay hot and continue to ignite the gas in the combustion chamber which keeps the motor turning and gas coming into the combustion chamber. Since it is low RPM it does not take much fuel vapor to keep it running like this for a while.
You need to run some high quality fuel cleaner. BG44K is the only one that really will fix situations like yours. You have to go to a car dealership parts department to get it and it is $20.00 a bottle but it is worth it. You should run 2 bottles each on a full tank. You might experience the engine runnning oddly as depsoits are being removed. By the time you run a third full tank of gas you will be able to see if it solved or improved the problem. It will probably be enlough to take care of it. All the deposits will end up in the engine oil so you might want to change it after the third tank.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang