HESITATION ON INITIAL ACCELERATION

1996 Chrysler Sebring

Reila

September, 27, 2011 AT 1:50 AM

We have a 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, 2.5L. It was placed in Non-operation in 2006. A month ago, my father replaced the fuel pump in it, got it running, and drove it the 300-ish miles to me and my boyfriend as a gift. Three days later, as we were driving, we had no power on initial acceleration from a light. After releasing the gas, and accelerating lightly, we were able to slowly build speed. The car continued to have initial acceleration hesitation, but after hitting about 40 mph, it ran smoothly. Next few times we started it up, it sounded like there was some backfiring as well.
Since then, we replaced the EGR, it got a little better, but didn't fix it. We then replaced the IAT sensor, a little more better, but not completely fixed. So finally fed up, we took it to get a diagnostic done, they replaced the distributor cap and rotor, and the spark plugs, which we found out were the original 1996 Spark plugs. The mechanic said our fuel pressure and volume is all fine, so it couldn't be the fuel pump/filter. So we got the car back, and it started up much better, but after going down the road, we still have a bit of hesitation.
We're taking it back to the shop, but I'd like some direction. There's three sensors I'm thinking could still be the problem, but like I said, help is greatly appreciated.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 27, 2011 AT 1:53 AM

If the check engine light isn't coming on, it becomes a guessing game. It could be the throttle position sensor, a simple vacuum leak, the catalytic converter could be plugging, or if old fuel was in the tank, the injectors may need cleaned.

Reila

September, 27, 2011 AT 1:54 AM

Just reviewed what I wrote, the acceleration gets better after 25 mph, not 40.
Also, when we got it back today, noticed some lurching at about 40 mph.

Reila

September, 27, 2011 AT 1:56 AM

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, there is no Check Engine light anymore. My dad cleared a P0300 Code for the IAT before bringing it to me, and I cleared a P0401 Code before my boyfriend took it to Smog it, before these problems arised, which is why my father first replaced the EGR and IAT.
We did have a split in the Vaccumm hose for the EGR, and we put a little fix-it hose on it, so could we potentially still have a leak in that hose?

Jacobandnickolas

September, 27, 2011 AT 2:55 AM

A vacuum leak to the egr could cause this. Double check that and let me know what you find.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro