96 ERROR CODES 1201-1206, 1300

1996 Acura RL

jmille14

June, 6, 2011 AT 6:25 PM

I own a 1996 Acura RL and have recently replaced the EGR Valve because the codes that came back all pointed to it. After driving the car about 100-150 miles the check engine light came back on and after scanning the codes 1201-1206 and 1300 came back. I took it to my mechanic and had him clean the new EGR Valve as well as the ports around it and the check engine light came on again. I need to pass emissions and my mechanic and I can't seem to figure out exactly what the problem is. Can you please help?

Thanks!
James

June, 7, 2011 AT 2:30 PM

P1201 to P1206 are misfiring from cylinder 1 to six. P1300 is random misfiring. It does not indicate a fault with the EGR system

Have you checked the sparks plugs (and related components), fuel pressure, engine compression, vacuum leakages?

June, 7, 2011 AT 2:31 PM

The problem is fuel related so you should concentrate more on the fuel system.

jmille14

June, 7, 2011 AT 3:15 PM

My mechanic (who is a buddy of mine and does all maintenance for free as long as I purchase the parts) has checked the spark plugs, which were all replaced about 15,000 miles ago and are in good working condition, but he seems to think the plug wires could be bad, could that be? Thanks for the other suggestions as I will have him check all of those out.

Thanks!
James

June, 8, 2011 AT 12:19 AM

Yes, the plug wires could be the cause but it is not likely that all of them are faulty and misfiring at the same time. Furthermore the codes is fuel related. Spark ignition related codes would normally have other misfiring codes.

I would suggest checking the compression and valve clearancesa. Tight valve clearances can cause misfiring as well.