TIMING BELT TENSIONER

1995 Toyota Corolla

david anderson

December, 2, 2013 AT 11:04 AM

The tensioner doesn't seem to be tightening the belt enough. I don't want to change belt or water pump if I don't have to. Is it possible to just remove the bottom covers, and adjust or replace the tensioner? What would I have to do to accomplish this? Would it be a lot easier than changing the belt and/or water pump also?

saturntech9

December, 2, 2013 AT 11:23 AM

So are we talking about the timing belt or drive belt?

saturntech9

December, 2, 2013 AT 11:27 AM

Sorry just saw the timing belt part if there is slack in the belt I would do a timing belt kit complete. I did a rav four it had slack in the belt was stretched. There rubber belts they stretch.

david anderson

December, 2, 2013 AT 5:32 PM

Ya, it would be better to do timing belt complete, but I have to work outside and it is cold out, and i'm pretty inexperienced. I thought that if there was an easy way to adjust or replace the tensioner, maybe that would fix the problem without going further. There is a rubber plug in the lower cover. The rubber plug covers the tensioner - at least according to a picture I saw. Is that for adjusting the tensioner without taking the whole thing apart do you know? If so, what steps would I take to adjust it and what would I have to remove to do this? I can, t seem to find anything about doing this anywhere.

Thanks for any help

saturntech9

December, 2, 2013 AT 7:05 PM

Do you know how many miles are on the belt you have on there now?Because the belts get changed. When you go over the 60,000 miles the belts will break at some point when they do you will have bent valves a much bigger more expensive job. If your going to tighten the belt take the cover off. You can loosen the bolt/nut for belt tenisor pulley. Then slide the pulley over to take the slack out of the belt then tighten it down. But if its as loose as I think it is tight or not its a ticking time bomb.

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe