CAR IS CUTTING OUT

1995 Saturn SL1

tarynne

April, 4, 2012 AT 6:30 PM

Car is cutting out. Changed coils twice. The ignition module once. Ran good for couple of days. Now it's cutting out again. Can you help

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

fixitmr

April, 4, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

You sure it's a spark problem? Was fuel pressure tested?

tarynne

April, 4, 2012 AT 7:31 PM

It stopped cutting out for a while after changing coils/module but then went back to cutting out. Note. The duration running good shortened every time after replacement. Also the idle is swinging 400 to 500 rpm's more so when it's cold I have to let it warm up for it to run half way descent. Just started the last week or so. The cuuting out is more abrupt. You know like a spark type miss than a fuel. If you know what I mean. Thx

saturntech9

April, 4, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

Just to add to this one was the spark plug wires ever looked at?Also what type of plugs are in the engine?How is the coolant temp sensor they fail often and cause surging dieing no starts all kinds of symptoms.

tarynne

April, 4, 2012 AT 8:17 PM

Funny you should mention temp sensor.I had the fan quit kicking in when it should to cool engine a while back and have direct wired it with a toggle switch inside when needed so there is that. Asd far as plug wires. One has been replaced the one that usually stopped firing as coils were going out. Can wires be tested at say like an AutoZone? Budgeting right now.I'm a courier so the car is my paycheck.

saturntech9

April, 4, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

You need to replace your bottom coolant temp sensor the one with two wire going to it. Also inspect the inside of the connector if the terminals are green or blue instead of silver you will need to replace the connector also. Not only will a bad temp sensor cause it to overheat from the fan not coming in when it should. It will also greatly affect the way the car runs I know money is tight but you need to change the sensor and inspect the connector. Also wire your fan back up like it should be. You can test spark plug wires with a multimeter meter but I have fiund that always isnt a good way to be sure there good or bad. Bad wires can cause the engine to run really bad if you replace the wires dont get the auto zone ones. There poor quality use bosch ac delco or nipon denso wires. Also what spark plugs do you have in the engine?Hopefully not platnuim plugs plugs?They carbon foul in those engines and cause missfires a dead hole etc.

tarynne

April, 4, 2012 AT 8:47 PM

Alright man I appreciate the time/expertise. Steve

saturntech9

April, 4, 2012 AT 8:53 PM

Your welcome saturns are my speciality I spent over 16yrs working for the saturn dealers.

tarynne

April, 4, 2012 AT 9:02 PM

Well 95' is a good car. Just been chasing this around a while and want it fixed permanently. Have a good one.

saturntech9

April, 4, 2012 AT 9:05 PM

You too keep me posted on what you find.