ROUGH IDLE AND WHITE SMOKE WHEN RPM IS RAISED

1995 Saturn SC2

1995sc2

August, 4, 2012 AT 10:47 PM

I have a 1992 saturn sc2. The car seems to run fine driving down the road but when stopping the idle falls very low and then catches back up. It also idles rough can't really feel it sitting in the car but you can see the engine shake when you look at it idle. It also has whit smoke after the engine has idled about 15 minutes then reved up. I have replace the radiator, plugs and wires, changed the oil and filter added fuel system cleaner. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

saturntech9

August, 4, 2012 AT 11:20 PM

Are you sure its whit smoke because that would be coolant being burned?

1995sc2

August, 4, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

It looks white to me. It is definately light in color

saturntech9

August, 5, 2012 AT 12:20 AM

Have you checked the coolant temp sensor yet?

1995sc2

August, 5, 2012 AT 12:27 AM

No I have not. Would that cause all the issues?

saturntech9

August, 5, 2012 AT 4:59 AM

It could cause the loading up when idling with fuel and blow smoke when reving it up. It could also cause the low unstable idle when coming to a stop. But sticky carboned up valves and a sticky idle air control valve could cause the idle issues also. Pay close attenion to the color of the smoke. Let me know what color it is.

1995sc2

August, 7, 2012 AT 10:07 PM

My car is a 1995 sc2. If I do an engine swap from a later model what years will I be able to use? Same question if I just do a head swap? One cylnder has low compression in my current engine.

saturntech9

August, 7, 2012 AT 10:18 PM

You can use up to a 1998 saturn twin cam but you would have drill the top gauge sensor hole and thread it. Because starting in 1996 they went to one sensor instead of two. If you only have a head issue pull the head and get a valve job. Atleast you would know the valves would be in good shape.I would also put a new timing chain kit in while you were in there.

1995sc2

August, 7, 2012 AT 10:46 PM

Being a 5 speed trans. Can the engine be pulled from the top alone or does the trans have to come out with it at the same time?

saturntech9

August, 7, 2012 AT 11:15 PM

When I do a 5 speed engine swap on those I remove the hood and radaitor fan shroud or auto for that matter give more room. But with a 5 speed I pull both the engine and transmission all together I put them back in as a complete unit also. Because I hate trying to stab the input shaft back in the clutch when dropping the engine back. To me thats much easier and how I have always done it.

1995sc2

August, 7, 2012 AT 11:57 PM

When torking the head bolts what's the procedure? Do you have to replace the the head bolts?

Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8