WHERE IS THE COOLING FAN SENSOR LOCATED?

1995 Saturn SC2

jamcan1

October, 7, 2011 AT 3:19 PM

My saturn runs hot whenever the car is sitting still for about 5 minutes or more. The cooling fan comes on only when I turn on the a-c. It does not turn on automatically like it used to. I was told the sensor has gone bad.

Dan_K

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:17 PM

The coolant temperature sensor is located on the rear of the engine near the coolant outlet.

See attached diagram.

saturntech9

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:27 PM

Just to add to this its the bottom sensor with two wires going to it a yellow wire and black wire. Also inspect the coolant temp sensor connector if the terminals in the connector are green ir blue there corroded and you will have to reolace the connector also. The coolant temp sensors crack and leak coolant into the connector causing the terminals to get corrodedWhat temp on the gauge does the fan come on at?I have seen the fans come on at the tip of the red on those cars from worn temo gauges and bad gauge temp sending units. Which is the top sender with a single green wire.

Dan_K

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:42 PM

Thanks for making this much more clearer, saturntech.

saturntech9

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:46 PM

Your welcome always willing to help out the other moderators or the users asking the questions.

jamcan1

October, 7, 2011 AT 11:26 PM

What temp on the gauge does the fan come on? It doesn't come on at all. I have to turn on the a-c in order to get the fan to come on.

saturntech9

October, 7, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

Then replace the bottom coolant temp sensor and inspect the connector too for being corroded.

jamcan1

October, 7, 2011 AT 11:40 PM

Thanx for the info.

saturntech9

October, 8, 2011 AT 6:41 AM

Your welcome keep me posted on how you make out.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet