FIRST

1995 Pontiac Firebird

Anonymous

March, 18, 2013 AT 8:48 PM

First. My tranny fluid is dark brown and tranny slips. I'm changing fluid and filter. Is it best to just drain pan or disconnect cooler hose and idle to pump out most of old fluid. Also the transmission chart at tge auto store said to use ATF dextron3/mercon fluid but guy at the counter said ATF 6 is much better. Is this true or did he just want me to spend the extra $1.60 per qt?

caradiodoc

March, 18, 2013 AT 9:18 PM

You're past worrying about upgrading to a better fluid. The overheating is due to slipping clutch packs and the same thing is going to happen after you replace the filter and fluid. Put the money toward a professional rebuild. If you want to try to save a few bucks, (not worth it), you can remove the transmission and haul it to the specialty shop, but then you'll have to reinstall it and make any needed adjustments. The experts will have that transmission out and back in so fast you wouldn't believe it. If they make a mistake and it has to come back out of the car, they will do that at no extra charge if they originally pulled it out. If you pull it and it has to come out again, you have to do the job twice.