MITSUBIS TIMING

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

TheHelper

March, 25, 2011 AT 5:46 PM

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max How do I check the engine timing. How do I check it, can I use a timing light and how to set it right if off.
Also an Timing belt diagram in case I need to change the belt, pick up is just climbs up to speed have to feather throttle to get to 55mph, sputters on take off. Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, FPR and Fuel Pump, TPS.
No codes coming up now, need to check timing.

Wrenchtech

March, 25, 2011 AT 6:41 PM

CAUTION : Be sure to apply parking brake and block wheels before performing idle check or adjustment, or any engine running test.

Ignition Timing Adjustment
Adjustment conditions: * Engine coolant temperature: 85 - 95 C (185 - 205 F)
* Lights and all accessories: Off
* Transmission: Neutral (N or P for vehicles with an automatic transmission)

1. Insert a paper clip at the wire side of the connector. Do not disconnect the connector.
2. Connect the tachometer to paper clip.

NOTE: Do not use scan tool. When the scan tool is connected to the data link connector, ignition timing will be normal ignition timing and will not be basic ignition timing.

3. Set the liming light.
4. Connect a lead wire with alligator clips to the terminal for ignition-timing adjustment (located in the engine compartment), and ground it.
5. Start engine and run at curb idle speed.
6. Aim timing light at crankshaft pulley. If flash occurs when timing mark is before specified degree mark, timing is advanced. To adjust, turn distributor housing in direction of rotor rotation. If flash occurs when timing mark is after specified degree make, timing is retarded. To adjust, turn distributor housing against direction of rotor rotation.

If timing within specified value, proceed to step (8). If outside specified value, proceed to next step.
Basic ignition timing: 5 BTDC 2 at curb idle speed.

7. Loosen distributor mounting nut just enough so the distributor housing can be rotated in its mounting. Turn distributor housing until specified value is obtained.
8. Tighten the mounting nut and recheck timing
9. Disconnect the lead wire connected at step (4).
10. Check to be sure that the idling ignition timing is advanced to the actual ignition timing. Actual ignition timing: 8 BTDC at curb idle speed

NOTE : 1. Ignition timing is variable within about 7 , even under normal operating.
2. And it is automatically further advanced by about 5 from the standard value at higher altitudes.

TheHelper

March, 25, 2011 AT 7:40 PM

Thank you, I'll see if it helps any.

March, 26, 2011 AT 4:51 AM

I'll 2nd it-It should work it came out of an electronic service manual and he's a master expert/shop owner-should be no questions asked-

TheHelper

April, 1, 2011 AT 3:24 AM

3. Set the liming light.

Hi
I need to know where this connector is that needs to be grounded and what it looks like.

Confused on the where to put paper clip and what tacometer, could I use a OTC digital meter that hooks on a plug wire for rpm instead

Wrenchtech

April, 1, 2011 AT 12:03 PM

The ignition timing connector is located on the right fender apron, near the firewall.

Curb Idle Speed 750 +/-100 rpm

Roost

February, 10, 2012 AT 6:49 AM

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max.
Please tell me how to adjust valves engine?

Wrenchtech

February, 10, 2012 AT 10:39 AM

Please start a new question of your own. This one belongs to someone else.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Air Filter Replacement
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars