HOW CAN U TELL IF THE LIFTERS R BAD

1995 Mercury Tracer

bobhillier

September, 21, 2011 AT 8:16 PM

I removed all the lifters and they appear to be fine and r all within spec on feeler gauge if these were a problem in this car how do I know spending 160 bucks will make the ticking go away did they improve the design or?

hmac300

September, 21, 2011 AT 8:28 PM

Lifters need to be bled down to see if they are good. Not very many places can t'do this, so they just replace them. However if your cam lobes are worn that may have done it and you need more than what you can diagnose. If they were within spec then replacement is the only option to fix it. If the ticking still is there then it may be something else.

bobhillier

September, 21, 2011 AT 8:45 PM

Is there any way to tell which ones or do u have to do all I bought this car cheap to sell its in mint condition inside and out there isn't even any build up in the motor its spotless inside trying to do as little spending as possible on it to make money any tricks or cheap fix u can offer would appreciate it

bobhillier

September, 21, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

Can I get a couple lifters and try each cylinder one at a time since they r all the same for intake and exhaust its more work but less money I hope

hmac300

September, 21, 2011 AT 10:14 PM

They are mostly all the same, trouble is though if you didn't mark where the lifters came from it will eat up the cam lobes because they all wear differently on the lobes. Originally you could have tried some lifter type cleaner in the engine along with changing theoil before ripping it apart. Sometimes the stuff works and sometimes it doesn't

bobhillier

September, 22, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

The oil is fresh and was changed every 3000 have the records and was just changed not even dirty yet it only has 60,000 on it that's why I was questioning why they r bad this soon the car was one owner elderly woman so was well cared for can't tell it was ever driven its that clean in and out what about marvel mystery oil think its worth a try

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars