DO I CHANGE TRANSMISSION FLUID?

1995 Lexus ES 300

chabd56

1995 Lexus ES300 with 125K miles. No record of transmission fluid/filter change, current fluid NOT bright red and I have been told changing it can cause serious problems, what should I do?

Jacobandnickolas

Here is the old saying. If you never changed your trans fluid and it is really dirty, new fluid (with their detergent) will clean the residue from the clutch plates and cause it to slip.

To be honest, I have heard it many times, but in 30 years of working on cars (including transmissions), I have never seen it happen.

If the fluid is discolored and not bright red, I would recommend having it done.

chabd56

Thanks. Have had lots of conflicting advice and I am somewhat afraid to do anything.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 28, 2011 AT 3:33 AM

How dirty is the trans fluid? Can you see through it at all? Does it smell burnt? I have to be honest, when the trans gets to the point that servicing it could cause the trans to slip, it is close to that point regardless. What I'm saying is if it is that bad, chances are it will start having issues soon. Unless it it is black and burnt, I would try to service it. If the clutches are still good, at least you will help save thrust washers, bearings.

Let me know if you have other questions.

chabd56

January, 28, 2011 AT 10:25 AM

It is not black by any means. More of a reddish-orange color and it does not smell burnt.

Jacobandnickolas

Service it. That sounds line nothing more than it is due (not overdue).

chabd56

OK. Going to do just that! Thanks!

Jacobandnickolas

Glad to help. If you have other questions, let us know. Please make sure to have the work done by someone that knows what he is doing.

chabd56

Will do. Filter and fluid change is all I will have done, thanks again Joe!

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement