OIL PRESSURE

1995 Ford Thunderbird

Bkepler

May, 9, 2011 AT 5:07 PM

What can cause the oil pressure gauge to be below normal, and somtimes go all the way to LOW. The oil level in the car is normal.

Wrenchtech

May, 9, 2011 AT 5:21 PM

The first thing you need to do is find out if that gauge is accurate or faulty. The best way is by testing the fuel pressure using a mechanical gauge but it may be quicker and cheaper to just put a new gauge sender in it.

fixitmr

May, 9, 2011 AT 5:50 PM

Test the actual 'oil pressure' with mechanical gauge.

Wrenchtech

May, 9, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

Yes, I believe I said that already.

May, 9, 2011 AT 6:23 PM

The mechanical gauge would be more accurate, for a "True Test"

Still, you would have to take things loose in the same place to hook it up. This would be done where the sender is screwed into the engine.

Yeah, a new sender might be the answer. But it could be the Gauge in the dash, these might be the "Best Scenario", 2 possible problems.

One, set up like in my pic, would allow you to drive down the road and observe the readings. Just run it out the rear of the hood and thru your window.

I just checked Autozone online--several senders--$8-$40.I do not think you have a 4 cylinder, maybe a 3.8L 6cyl?

Keep in mind, it may not be the gauge or sender, at all, could be more serious, like engine wear, oil pump, or the oil pressure relief valve.

If it's not the instruments (proven with a mechanical gauge exhibiting the same symptoms as you have now) Maybe substitute a quart of oil stabilizer instead of a quart of oil next oil change. This may improve your pressure.

Your turn.3 of us now, on top of your question!

We'll hang with you, keep us informed!

The Medic

Wrenchtech

May, 9, 2011 AT 6:30 PM

At the average of $90 per hour, most shops will charge you $80 to $90 for the time it will take to manually test the pressure. If they then find it needs a sender, which is usually the problem, that will be an additional charge of about $50 average, including the $5 to $20 sender. Just going right to the $50 sender will give you the same answer. Your dash gauge is working so that is not the issue.

May, 9, 2011 AT 7:50 PM

You got 4 experts dealing with you -pay close attention and do exactly as we suggest-You got good answers earlier, think about it-Here's mine: Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, if normal replace the oil pressure switch and check the gauge too- If abnormal could mean oil pump and engine bearings

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5