This is a Ford cutaway motor home with 7

BIGSPA87
  • 1995 FORD E-SERIES VAN

This is a ford cutaway motor home with 7.5l gas engine. I have recently purchased this vehicle and have driven approx 800 miles. The temp has never operated in the normal zone and has mostly been on or just above the c. Mileage is really bad. Today I replaced the thermostat and it did not solve problem. Heater is blowing fine hot air. What is my next step I need to take?

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:19 AM

Check and test the engine coolant temperature sensor-

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:26 AM
BIGSPA87

How do I test the sensor and find it?

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:29 AM

Check the resistances hot and cold on the engine coolant temperature sensor and also the coolant temperature sending unit see below

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:42 AM
BIGSPA87

Ok great would malfunctions of these sensors effect fuel mileage?

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:46 AM

If the engine coolant temperature sensor is defective it will

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:54 AM
BIGSPA87

If I replace this does computer or anything have to be reset. And final question is there anything else it could be(simple fix)?

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:58 AM

No-also check on the coolant temperature sending unit.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 1:09 AM
BIGSPA87

Ok I will test both tomorrow, the vehicle runs great it just runs cold and is getting about 5 miles per gallon.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 1:38 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

I'd say 5 miles per gallon isn't running terribly great.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 2:45 AM

Having worked on these beasts in thepast one of th e reasons that the mileage is so low is because of engine size and it's hard to make a box get fuel mileage. Plus the weight of these I f you get 7 or 8 mpg consider that extremely good. This motor home has to be in the 25-32 ft range so you aren't going to get the best fuel mileage.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 12:59 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Hmac300 is absolutely correct. I'd say you'd be lucky to get 10 MPG out of this monster. But you should be able to get better than 5.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 2:07 PM
BIGSPA87

I really don't have a history with the beast, funny that's what I call it, but am concerned with it runn cold. Anything I can do to get the mileage up will help. I am about to drive it 1000 miles next week and any increase will save money. What I meant about running great is that it doesn't smoke or miss any ever. I just want to make sure I get it running optimal. Any comment or recommendations would be appreciated I just left o Reilly's with sensor and sending unit.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 3:25 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Change the oil and filter. Do a tuneup on it, replacing the air and fuel filters, and at least checking the plugs. Make sure the plug wires are all in good shape. I normally gap my plug 1-3 thousandths more than what's recommended in order to get a hotter spark.

You say the air coming out of the heater is nice and warm. That tells me the engine is running at proper temp, it's just the sending unit that's reading incorrectly. If the needle on the temp gauge doesn't move at all, I would suspect either a completely failed sending unit or some sort of broken connection between the power source, the unit, and the gauge.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 3:33 PM
BIGSPA87

Changed sensor and sending unit and bingo the temp guage is between the R and M on normal on temp guage thanks.

Friday, April 5th, 2013 AT 2:43 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Our pleasure. Happy to be able to help.

Friday, April 5th, 2013 AT 3:26 AM