CLARIFICATION OF TROUBLE CODES.

• ldinbigd
  • 1995 Dodge Van
  • 240 miles

Rough idle on start-up. Oil light would come on and act as if would die, but then rpms came back up. Just recently stalled out and able to start only after sitting for some time. Strong fuel odor on oil dipstick. Came up with codes 22, 45, 51. Replaced MAP sensor which eliminated code 51, and improved idling greatly, but idling still slightly off and tendency to die. Per this website code 45 means: "turbo boost limit exceeded-map sensor detects over-boost (engine was shut down by logic module)." Could you be more specific as to solution, and does this relate to idling problem? Thanks a bunch.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 10:27 PM

• KHLow2008

Code 22 - Engine Temperature Sensor voltage too low.
Code 45 - Transmission Overdrive solenoid circuit fault, open or shorted.
Code 51 - Lean running condition.

Since idling is erratic, the recommended starting point is to have the throttle body and IAC cleaned.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 11:02 PM
  • ldinbigd

Thanks KHLow2008. I will clean both and see what happens. For those of us with less knowledge here is a good link with pics on cleaning the IAC for the 1995 Dodge van: http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/68174-diy-how-to-clean-the-iac.html

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 11:43 PM
  • KHLow2008

You're welcome.

If you google for IAC on Youtube, you would get videos on how to clean the throttle body and IAC.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012 AT 1:30 AM
  • ldinbigd

Yes, I did google and found a neat tool -Run Rite Intake Snake, but I will fore-go ordering it and see what the parts store has.
Ldinbigd

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012 AT 2:00 AM
  • KHLow2008

Carb cleaner should be good enough to perform the job but the quality can mean getting the job done faster and with a better result.

After using carb cleaner the engine is going to struggle to start for a while so don't be alarmed.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012 AT 5:09 AM