COOLANT NOT FLOWING AND BUILDS UP PRESSURE.

1995 Dodge Neon

iowan86

May, 19, 2012 AT 7:45 PM

I just put a new head gasket on this car, (95' dodge neon 2.0L SOHC) I had the head pressure checked and resurfaced. I also bought a head gasket set, so new head bolts and everything. I torqued the head down in the 4 stage process and everything. Well now it seems to have the same problem, the coolant isn't flowing, and it dont let me just dump in water to fill up the system, I can only add a little bit, then have to start the car, let it run a minute, shut it back off and then add more water to it.

Also it is leaking oil now from whats to look like the back side of the valve cover gasket, I used the torque specs but if by chance I got them over tightened on the vavle cover could this cause it to leak oil?

Thank you for your help!
Jonahton

May, 19, 2012 AT 8:00 PM

Did you replace the thermostat and water pump>>

overtightening could do it but I doubt it. The fagsket amy have slipped. Remove the cover and re check

iowan86

May, 19, 2012 AT 8:02 PM

Yes I replaced the water pump, timing belt, and a new thermastat.

May, 19, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

The iar needs to be pruged from the system. If the thermostat is on top of the motor, remove the housing and the thermostat. Add coolant until the coolant comes out the hole for the thermostat. Then re install the thermostat. Then the only air is a littl above that level.

iowan86

May, 22, 2012 AT 11:36 PM

I purged the air from the lines and still have the same issue. Pressure building up. Is there anything else that could cause this issue?

cadieman

May, 23, 2012 AT 1:20 AM

Remove the top hose at the rad. Keep the hose on and in the filler neck. When the stat. Opens water will flow out the upper hose when stat. Opens and the hose is refilling the radiator. Let it run through 5 stat. Open and closing. This will be what u call flow.

iowan86

May, 23, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

I took out the thermastat all together and drove it and it is still building up alot of pressure up in the cooling system really fast.

cadieman

May, 23, 2012 AT 10:01 PM

Ck] for flow by doing what I said. No stat the water should run constantly out the upper hose

iowan86

May, 25, 2012 AT 1:04 AM

Ok thermastat out, turn on car. Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the radiator and a little water came out. After running about another 10 seconds more water flowed out only for a few seconds. Maybe a quart of water total. After that nothing more came out. Too me it seems like something is blocking the water way or something but I flushed the coolant system and it all came out with no problems. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you for any help.

cadieman

May, 25, 2012 AT 2:59 PM

Make sure u have the proper stat. Then put the stat back in. Check in a pot of water on the stove. That it opens. Reinstall it and remove the top hose at the rad.U should see it opening and closing. This is flow. Sorry its so long been sick.

iowan86

May, 27, 2012 AT 4:05 PM

The flow seems to be flowing, but when I drive it, its still getting hot after I drive it about 20 miles, and seems like its building up a lot of pressure in the cooling system, making it bubble water out of the overflow tank.

Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Ignition System Test Guide
Mercedes Air Filter Replacement
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma V6
Air Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150