Now lets do the rest of the repair. The contacts inside the switch overheat, especially for people who regularly use the heater fan on high and leave it there when they turn the ignition switch on and off. That leads to arcing of the contacts, and that heat migrates out to the switch terminals where it overheats the terminals in the connector. Evidence of that is two of them are blackened and / or about 4 inches of those wires are hardened and don't bend easily. If it got bad enough, the plastic connector body will be melted too.
The repair involves replacing the switch AND replacing the terminals in the connector and that 4" of wire. If you leave the overheated terminals in the connector, they will have lost their tension. That, and the carbon on them creates a very poor electrical connection. That results in resistance which causes heat buildup again. The more current that has to pass through that connection, as in with the heater fan on "high", the more heat will be generated and that will migrate into the new switch and start the problem occurring again.
Head light switches often suffer the same fate and require the same repair.
Please consider a to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, February 28th, 2013 AT 10:57 PM