ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier

jaybin82

December, 30, 2011 AT 10:41 PM

a guy from a auto store told me to hook my radiator fan up to the erls fuse to make it run instead of a toggle switch. I did (mistake), I started the car and everything worked fine till the 5th time I started it. It smoked from under the dash. Now it will turn over but wont fire, the wipers and radio wont work. I have the dash out now looking for where it smoked and everything looks fine. I think I may of fried the pcm but since thats in the wheel well. Help please

rivermikerat

December, 30, 2011 AT 10:52 PM

Yeah, bad idea. The fan needs a relay, not a fuse. I'm not sure what the ERLS fuse is. Check for power to the coil.
Does the AC/heater blower work? Turn signals? Hazards?
I have attached the 2 power distribution schematics we have for your car.

jaybin82

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:00 PM

No the heater, turn signals, windshield wipers, radio, are all not working but that hazards do. I did a little research and the ERLS fuse runs a/c compressor, EGR valve, cruise control, and a few other things. It happened 4 or 5 months ago and I'm just getting around to looking at it so I cant remember everything that doesnt work. I have the dash apart now so I cant check and it doesnt start so that doesnt help.

rivermikerat

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:05 PM

Ok. I'm sure you know to look for blackened and crispified wires. (Yes, my own word, thankyouverymuch, hehehe). Obviously look for blown fuses. Use the power dist images I sent. Let me know if you need schematics for any other systems, and if we have them, I'll send them.

jaybin82

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:09 PM

No fuses are blown, no crispified wires, but the images and words from the diagrams are blurry when zoomed in. I have the haynes manual and tracked the wires to death. Other than the computer I dont know what it would be

rivermikerat

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:27 PM

Got Photoshop or similar? Use it to enlarge the images. If not, PM me your email address and I can do it and email them to you.

Let me get one of my colleagues in here, maybe a fresh set of eyes will help.

jaybin82

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:31 PM

I do have it just not on this computer yet. My email is jaybin82@yahoo. Com dont know how to pm on here

rivermikerat

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:44 PM

Click on the name of the user you want to message. That'll take you to their profile page. There's a link there under the name to send a message. Sending now. 2 separate emails because Yahoo doesn't allow attachments of over 10MB.

jaybin82

December, 30, 2011 AT 11:58 PM

Thats what I figured but I didnt see no link on your profile. I did get the email and it didnt really help. In the haynes book the erls fuse is on multipul pages that all run to the pcm and other things. Thanks for your help. If you come up with anything else id appreaciate it. For now I guess im gunna pluck away at it. When/if I figure out what it is ill let you know. Thanks again

rivermikerat

December, 31, 2011 AT 12:37 AM

Ok. Have a safe and happy New Year. Enjoy the bowl games.

December, 31, 2011 AT 4:14 AM

You sure did fried something in there and its not an egg-Ok what you need here a full blown road map I call it EWD pertaining the inoperative circuits as mentioned earlier and track down 1X1

Check where the ERLS get its power from-

now it will turn over but wont fire,

My suggesstion here start at the ignition switch-when you turn key to run -do you see the idiot lites that normally comes on-

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT