ALTERNATOR WONT CHARGE

• utahmark
  • 1995 Buick Park Avenue

Have a 1995 buick park avenue with 3800 series II motor. Rebuilt the motor and put back in, car runs, but alternator is not charging. Had the alternator tested and was fine. Brand new battery. It will charge if I run a jumper from the positive on the battery to the plug in on the back side of the battery (only one wire). As soon as I unhook it it stops.I have.04 volts on the wire that goes to the plug in. All fuses tested and replaced. What could cause it? Wiring all looks good as well

Saturday, December 31st, 2011 AT 10:36 PM

• utahmark

****jumper to the back side of the alternator. Sorry****

Saturday, December 31st, 2011 AT 10:37 PM
  • saturntech9

So your jumping a wire to the black large wire that has a nut holding the wire to the batt post of the alternator?

Saturday, December 31st, 2011 AT 10:51 PM
  • utahmark

No. That wire goes directly to the battery from the reg. Im jumping a wire from the bat + to the plug with one little red wire and the alternator that feeds from the main wire harness coming from inside the vehicle. Also put a new ecm in

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 7:40 AM
  • saturntech9

So you havent check the resistance with both ends of that wire unplugged and see if there is two ohms or less end to end?

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 8:29 PM
  • utahmark

Checked it today. No resistance. To and the main wire harness on the firewall. The pin that goes to the alternator show. 12.5+/- but as soon as I plug it back in the alt wire shows only.01 volts. I also to the main wire harness on the engine side and did a jump wire from the alt pin to the battery, hooked my ground for my voltmeter up to the battery, and tested the wire for voltage that way on the pin by the alt and had 12.5 +/-

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 1:30 AM
  • saturntech9

So did you unplug the ecm computer and the connector to the alternator and measure the resistance on that wire from the alternator to the ecm connector to connector?You should see 2 ohms or less.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 1:58 AM
  • utahmark

Ill have to check that but when I turn the key on I have power from the ecm side of the wire harness to where the alt pin would slide in

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 4:42 AM
  • saturntech9

You said earlier you only had .04volts to that wire now you say you have 12 volts sounds like a wire or loose terminal issue. Check like I suggested and let me know what you find.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 5:00 AM
  • utahmark

With the harness complete I have.04. When I take the engine harness off the firewall where it hooks up and turn the key on, I have 12.5 on the firewall for the pin coming off the computer harness for the alt. Inly with the harness complete do I have the.04 at the alt

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 11:03 PM
  • saturntech9

If you have 12 volts at the ecm pin but only.04volts thru the harness at the alternator then you need to check that harness. Have done a resistance check like I said?If so what the ohms reading?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 11:11 PM