CSI HEADLIGHTS

1995 BMW 840

bipd818

December, 29, 2010 AT 9:31 PM

My father's BMW 840csi has inadequate forward lighting. It appears to have three lights in each pop-up headlight; low-beam, high-beam, and foglight. The low and high beams work normally and the fog light comes on with an aux switch. But there is another set of lights fixed in the grill above the bumper that appear to be factory fog or driving lights, but they never turn on. (My MBZ had extra factory lights that were disabled in the computer for the US market. I had the MBZ dealer turn-on the option and I then had all forward lighting the Germans meant for me to have.) Is there a similar US restriction on the 840csi? Any other suggestions as how to get more light down the road for normal low-beam driving? I'm going to install HID bulbs and ballasts in the low-beams for a start.
Thanks,
Scott

Dr. Hagerty

December, 29, 2010 AT 9:47 PM

Federal law does not allow high beams and fogs at the same time. The lights themselves are quite fragile so be careful when working with them. I can give you some part numbers if you do break anything.

Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon