IS THERE A WAY TO TEST A E G R VALVE

1994 Saturn SW2

grh752

October, 26, 2011 AT 10:52 PM

The idle is racing and when I unplug the vac line it doesn't change thought it should if a vac line is unpluged

hmac300

October, 26, 2011 AT 11:17 PM

Clean teh throttleplateon both sides and idle air control with choke cleaner the car will start hard after doing this. Then reattach duct work and see if it helped. You migh twant to try cleaning egr by scraping the pintle inside.

saturntech9

October, 26, 2011 AT 11:49 PM

Just to add to this one usually when the egr valves go bad on those cars its cause a miss while driving because the egr return spring in the egr valve becomes weak. Allowing the egr valve to open further then it should. How high does it idle what rpm?Also any codes have you checked for them?

saturntech9

October, 26, 2011 AT 11:52 PM

Also the egr valve doesnt open at idle so at idle removing the hose would have no effect on the egrs operation.

grh752

October, 27, 2011 AT 6:16 AM

Ok thanks guys! I wonder why the rpm's rev up and hangs at 3k sometimes you can kick it down and some times not then it runs just under 1k. The racing up is not all the time but more and more it cranks up the rpm's even when in gear I thought it was vac leaking so I replaced any lines the looked suspect. Thursday I'll try to clean as you recommended. Guys I do thank you i'm an old nam (1st inf div 69)vet that has had a few set backs (bad heart 4 attacks)but I will try to donate tkx grh

saturntech9

October, 27, 2011 AT 3:36 PM

Do have any codes in the computer?Also you can check for vacuum leaks with a can of carb spray when it idles high you can spray around any vacuum areas hoses intake manifold gasket. If the rpms goes up down or the engine stumbles or dies you have a leak there. Also do you ever have touble starting the car?I have seen bad coolant temp sensors cause a high idle and its really common for them to go bad on those cars.

grh752

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:06 AM

I pulled codes nothing came up no trouble in starting. Yeah I had seen something about the coolant temp sensors I guess i'll try that next thanks any and all help to a solution is big to me thanks GRH

saturntech9

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:37 AM

If you change the coolant temp sensor the one you want to change is the bottom one with two wires going to it a black wire and yellow wire. Also inspect the inside of the connector to coolant temp sensor if the terminals are green or blue instead of silver there corroded and you will have to change the connector also. Let me know what you find.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars