AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WON'T SHIFT OUT OF PARK.

1994 Saturn SL1

tay-clem

November, 18, 2011 AT 8:55 PM

It feels very tight, as if the shifter cable is caught on something or the lever it is connected to is stuck. Sometimes, if you let the car idle for an hour or more, it will shift, but reluctantly.

Transmission fluid levels are good. No leaks.

I'm wondering if it is an internal problem with the transmission itself.

November, 18, 2011 AT 9:01 PM

Check the brake lights if its working -if okay -have shiftlock control solenoid checked/tested

saturntech9

November, 19, 2011 AT 12:11 AM

Just to add to this one see if it will come out of park with the key in the acc position?Also do you have a multimeter?

saturntech9

November, 19, 2011 AT 12:19 AM

Also you could have a gummed up shift lock solenoid from coffee and soda being spilt over time.

tay-clem

December, 5, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

I tried the key in the acc position, still no luck. The solenoid is on the outside of the car, near the engine block. I read somewhere that you can remove the cable that connects the solenoid to the gear shift in an extreme emergency in order to get the car to move. How do I go about doing this? (I know that I will have to get the part replaced if I do this, but I'm moving to a different town and need to move the car)

saturntech9

December, 5, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

That solenoid is actually under the center console I dont know what solenoid your talking about. Also do the brake lights work?Can you hear the solenoid click when stepping on the brake with your ear on the center console?

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250