REAR BRAKE LINE CUT TOO SHORT

1994 Plymouth Voyager

raymarquise

July, 17, 2012 AT 1:42 PM

1994 Plymouth Voyager, 3.0L, Non ABS. I changed both rear wheel cylinders and one side brake line - from the flex hose to the wheel cylinder. I cut the brake line a bit too short. I connected it to the wheel cylinder, ran it around the leaf springs and pulled it tight to the flex hose connection. I got it connected, and bled and tested the brakes which are OK. There are no leaks at the wheel cylinder or the flex hose ends, but the line is tight, with no play. Is that OK, or should I remake a longer line and replace it, so there is some play?

July, 17, 2012 AT 2:24 PM

No, I think you should replace it again with the correct routing as when the vehicle shifts and moves, the line will fracture and break. Play it safe and repair it correctly.

raymarquise

July, 18, 2012 AT 5:27 AM

Hi,
I did route the line correctly - the same way the old line was routed. My concern is that the line is pulled tightly, and I wanted to know if that in itself will cause any problems.

July, 18, 2012 AT 11:43 AM

Pulled tightly, yes, it needs slack to allow for movement

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front