BRAKES WILL NOT GO OFF

1994 Nissan Altima

dill-11

July, 10, 2013 AT 1:20 PM

The brake lights stays on all the time even when you disconnect the plug to the brake light switch. The only way to get them off is to take the brake light fuse out. I also tryed to unplug the hand brake switch. The rubber gormet is still there touching the switch pushing it close.

July, 10, 2013 AT 2:06 PM

If I understood your post correctly, your brake switch connector may be faulty?

dill-11

July, 11, 2013 AT 5:41 AM

Are you talking about the connector that plugs to the switch?If so why did this just happen?

July, 11, 2013 AT 6:23 AM

The way I see it, If you unplug the connector to the brake lamp switch, the brake lamps can't get voltage unless that circuit is shorted to voltage. The best explanation for me, is that the terminals are shorted at the connector, that way if you unplug the connector, the terminals are still shorted. There could be other explanations, but, I can't see much from here. You said, pulling the brake lamp fuse killed the brake lites, correct?

Why this just now started, I have no idea?

At the stop lamp switch, the red wire with yellow tracer carries voltage to the stop lamp switch. Hot all the time, protected by fuse 18--15 amp.

When the stop lamp switch is activated the red wire with green tracer goes hot/voltage goes to the stop lamps.

dill-11

July, 11, 2013 AT 6:45 AM

Thanks I will check the wire at the connector.

July, 11, 2013 AT 6:52 AM

Let us know what you find.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford