VERRY UNCOMMON TURNSIGNAL PROBLEM

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 12:48 AM

Every time I use my left turn signal it blows the fuse. If I dissconnect the signal housings on left side on reinstall then signals work! But only for a short period. Then they continue to blow the fuse untill I repete the process. Flasher is good. Bulbs are correct. Right signals work fine. Checked wiers. Made shure all connections I could think of were clean. Plz help this is a really wierd problem I cant even find someone else who even remotley has a problem like this. Have been trouble shooting for days. Im pulling my hair out!

gmtech

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:14 AM

Are you absolutely sure that you have the correct bulb installed. I am not familiar with the vehicle you have but there has to a short circuit for that fuse to blow. You don't happen to have a trailer hitch or trailer wiring do you? If so, disconnect it and try the signals

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:17 AM

I have no trailer hitch. As far as the bulbs the front has been in since I got the vehicle and the whole back housing as been replaced recentley with bulbs preinstalled so I figure if it was the bulb it would have happend imeditly afrer installing the new housing.

gmtech

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:23 AM

You say you installed a new lamp. Check the wiring to make sure it doesn't get pinched when installed. I would assume you had no short before the lamp was installed

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:25 AM

Plz any further advice would be apreciated. Why would it work temporarly when I remove and reinstall the housing? Oh and yesterday I had to remove/install the left REAR housing for it to work. Today I had to remove the left FRONT housing for it to work? This makes no sence to me

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:26 AM

Yes but I have tried that. It didnt start happening untill a few weeks after intallation.

gmtech

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:29 AM

I would have a look anyway, sometimes when pinched it doesn't always cause the problem right away. Disconnect the lamp altogether and see if the problem goes away. If so then the problem is in the lamp

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:34 AM

Every time I remove the housing (lefy or right) I disconnect teh wiers. And as I said one day it was the front housing the next it was the rear housing. I understand this is a weird thing to trouble shoot with neather one apearing to be the problem all the time and I appreciate ur patience. Any advice on why it would switch between wtch housing seems to be the problem?

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:35 AM

I ment (front or rear)

gmtech

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:39 AM

You have a funny one for sure. Does it blow the fuse every time or just quit working. Maybe flasher. It definitely is not easy when you are communicating this way Check the wire harness from where you unplug the connector. Something is shorting intermittently and it could be a bad bulb socket or wires are exposed.

evileye001

August, 3, 2011 AT 1:45 AM

Ok I am sorry for the miscommunication. Let me try agen. Everything is fine untill I use the left turnsignal. It will always blow the fuse. U hear the flasher click once, dash lights go dim and fuse blows killing my intrament pannel, brakes and turn signals as the all run off this fuse. I got to my left rear housing, disconnect and reconnect it. Its now works fine for a while. No matter what I do it will blow the fuse untill I diconect and reconnect the housing. Today it would only work when I dissconnect the front housing. (Dissconnect mening unpluging the wire harness).

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro