MY ENGINE IS TAPPING REAL BAD FROM UNDER THE ...

• ghawk122
  • 1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

My engine is tapping real bad from under the head cover like the rocker arms are loose. It has plenty of oil preasure so I know it is getting oil. What do I do to repair are check to see if that is the problem?

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 6:17 PM

• hmac300

First pull the cover off to see what is making noise, as we dont' have a max in u.S. Then it could be a follower or a camshaft if an overhead cam engine. It could also be a reocker as well. If it'smaking noise you should be able to see it.

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 6:28 PM
  • ghawk122

Wish they would have given me a answer from someone that knows about the 2.4 engine I asked about. Ended up go to the library and looking it up. Found that it has hydraulic adjusters in the rockers. They look like little bullets that go over the valves. I had two that where stuck and one that was wore out. Replaced all eight and the problem solved.

Thanks anyway

Thursday, March 7th, 2013 AT 12:51 AM
  • KHLow2008

Keep tab of the engine oil condition. Hydraulic lifters tends to fail easily when engine is heavily sludged.

Thursday, March 7th, 2013 AT 12:39 PM
  • hmac300

Had you given engine size wwe cold have been more specific even if car not in u.S.

Thursday, March 7th, 2013 AT 2:19 PM