ELECTRICAL STEERING BUTTON

1994 Lexus LS 400

Harriscty7

July, 21, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

I'm vehicle shopping for my teenage daughter and found a '94 Lexus LS400 that seems to run well but the electrical steering tilt button doesn't work. It makes a clicking sound but doesn't reposition. The owner is willing to come down a little on the price, however, dealer service and repair shops won't give me an estimate without diagnostics. $$$ Can you give me quote on the repair? (Dan Burges asked a similar question over 2 years ago, Jan. 7, 2009, but didn't get a reply.)

caradiodoc

July, 21, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

Come on; do you really need a motor to tilt the steering wheel? A simple reliable lever works just as well. Cars with these toys and gimmicks are very expensive to repair and electrical problems are common. Teenage children need a car they can survive a low speed crash in, not toys to play with and be distracted by. That rules out any GM front-wheel-drive car. You might consider a Dodge Shadow / Plymouth Sundance. They are like little ostrich eggs; tougher than most cars that hit them.

If you search through these forums, you'll see how many people are having electrical problems. We've gotten so lazy we can't be bothered to close a door by hand or press the power lock button. Every time we involve a computer in one of these formerly reliable systems, we end up with more breakdowns, more complaints, and higher repair bills.

It's impossible to say what it's going to cost to fix this system when you don't know what's wrong with it. That's like asking your doctor what it's going to cost to relieve your pain. Is it due to a stomach ache, a hang nail, or you cut your foot off with a chainsaw?

Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal