TRANS FILTER

1994 Honda Prelude

Gingy012

Hey I have a 1994 honda prelude Dohc and I was wondering to change a automatic transmission filter. Would you just drop the transmission pan and the filter would be right there with a few bolts to get it out? Because someone said to change the filter for this car you would need to dissemble the transmission. Thanks

The filter is a maintenance free strainer type and transmission has to be disassembled for replacement.

Gingy012

How much time would that take to do and what if I were to just change the fluid. Do I have to change the filter if I were to change the fluid and changing the fluid without replacing the filter Would that do any harm to the transmission? Thanks

The filter is maintenance free and not scheduled for replacement unless you wish to rebuild the transmission. All you have to do is drain and refill the transmission fluids, the standard procedure.

Gingy012

Alright thanks a lot for your help. And one other thing can you tell me what fluid should be used (Honda brand) and is it dextron 2? Thanks so much.

Dexron-II or equilvalent.
It is not necessary to use Honda brand as transmissions of earlier era are more forgiving where fluids are concerned. During those era few manufacturers have their own oil.

Gingy012

Alright and is a honda brand better for the transmission cause I want to get far with this transmission the car has 156,660 miles on it and I just want the best way to still keep it alive. Also any tips to keep it alive and running for a while the car in general. Just asking because I just bought it for $700.00 with little problems- ball joints all four in front, tires are worn, radiator, exhaust and a rear main oil seal leak. Thanks so much and you are awesome advisor. Thanks

You're welcome.

Honda Z is the transmission fluid used for non CVT transmission. Regular transmission fluid change would keep the trans going but with age, there is no telling as seals woud age over time and hardens resulting in pressure loss.

The radiator leak is something you cannot ignore as overheating would cause damage to the engine. Have the timing belt checked as you have just bought the car and do not know the history of it. Ensure the belt condition is still good.
Rear main seals if not leaking too badly, it can wait but would require the transmission to be removed to replace.

Exhaust leaks would result in noise pollution and higher fuel consumption. If leak is along pipes and the pipes are not badly corroded, some patching up would do, otherwise parts would have to be replaced.

Ball joints would cause abnormal tires wear and is a safety concern as it can affect steering accuracy so should be attended to asap.

Gingy012

So is it alright if I use honda ATF-Z1 and yes I am going to check out the belt and probably replace them myself just the hardest part is I don't have air tools. Yeah the radiator I do understand and the ball joints I understand but im going to wait till the summer because I get my license in October so I have time to fix it up and anyway I need new tires because the tires on it now are basically worn out

ATF-Z1 is specially formulated for Honda vehicles so it is the recommended fluid.

Ok, good luck.

Have a great day.

Gingy012

Thank you and you also have a good day.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars