WHY DOES MY CAR SPUTTER WHEN COMING TO A STOP SOMETIMES?

1994 Geo Metro

jeremiahedward

Hello, So, I have a 1994 Geo metro XFI with 47,000 original miles. It's beautiful. It is a 1.0L 3 cylinder engine.

It does have a bit of a rough idle when coming to a stop. It has a manual transmission. Say I'm coming up to a red light and have to stop a little faster than usual (or sometimes stopping normally) I downshift 4 to 3 to 2 and then into neutral. When I get to second gear and put it into neutral, the car sputters a bit like it wants to stall, but it doesn't. It recovers.

New on the car: new spark plugs, distributor cap, wires, air filter, oil change and filter, and hoses. There doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak anywhere. I'm really at a loss here! Many thanks!

fixitmr

What happens if you dont downshift but just go neutral or push in clutch and use brakes to slow down?

jeremiahedward

February, 3, 2012 AT 3:12 PM

Shifting directly into neutral doesn't seem to have an effect. It still sputters. Also, I noticed that when I turn on the vents (i don't have ac) it happens. Sort of sputters and bogs down a bit.

fixitmr

February, 8, 2012 AT 7:08 PM

Sounds like possible vacuum leak. Air vents being vac powered. Check the fuel pressure, EGR and PCV valves and the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor-