WHY DOES MY ENGINE DIE WHEN I PUT THE TRANNY IN GEAR.

1994 Ford Ranger

Craig jaster

March, 18, 2012 AT 12:39 AM

This has been a good truck for the most part. When you first get in it in the morning, it's kind of sluggish, I thought of it as a fuel problem, but I have been all the way through the entire fuel and intake system with no good results. For the past week, it has been getting worse along with a vibration when shifting. Finally yesterday while at a stop light, I went to take off and the engine died. I put it up in neutral and started it right back up with no problem, but as soon as I put it in gear it died again. I was able to limp it home and get it up on jack stands. If I start it up and put it in gear without any resistance on the rear wheels it's fine, but as soon as I apply the brakes and slow the tranny down it starts vibrating violently and dies. I have removed the pan and drained the fluid and nothing seams to be out of place with the exception of the fluid looking very thin and a little too dark. Would a malfunctioning torque converter cause this? Should I try to replace the fluid and screen, maybe try some Lucas tranny conditioner, or something like that? Or would you lean more towards replacing the tranny all together?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

March, 18, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

Check the TCC solenoid or replce it and see what happens

Craig jaster

March, 18, 2012 AT 1:37 AM

Ok I can try that, but my problem is now trying to find a new one advance and auto zone neither one has them. Any ideas where to find one, I'm gonna try maps tomorrow if they're open

Craig jaster

March, 18, 2012 AT 10:38 PM

Is there any way I can test Tue tcc solenoid without replacing it? It runs about $100 at napa and I don't really have the money to get one right now, I've been out of work for a while now and am supposed to start a job tomorrow I just don't have the cash right now. Any other suggestions would be great also. I drained the fluid and changed the screen but it didn't help any.

March, 18, 2012 AT 11:07 PM

Find it and disconnect it and see what happens