EMERGENCY BRAKE LIGHT

1994 Ford Escort

ng21590

March, 22, 2011 AT 3:58 PM

.I have an 94 ford escourt lx wagon. I just got it and cleaned it all up. I lifted the emergency brake up to clean under the handle and put it right back down. Now the brake light won't go off. What do I do?

caradiodoc

March, 22, 2011 AT 6:51 PM

Push the handle down. If that makes the light go off, suspect sticking rear parking brake cables. Ford wrote the book on this problem. On most cars you must either use the parking brake every day to keep them working or you must never use them. On fords, especially the rear-whee-drive models, even when you use them all the time the cables still rust up. If the handle is already all the way down, suspect something happened to the switch. Also check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir but that would be quite the coincidence for that to trip the light at exactly the same time. If the fluid is low, don't fill it. Just add enough to make the light go off.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford