PERFORMANCE ISSUES WHEN GOING UP HILLS, GOT TROUBLE CODES 12, 17, 37, AND 51.

1994 Dodge Truck

Danny24

March, 4, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

I drove my truck 160 miles. The first 80 were fine. The last 80 were not. The truck bogged down, had trouble on small inclines, wouldn't go over 60mph, and the engine light came on. I pulled over and sat for a few minutes and the truck started up with no I don't know what the problem is or where to begin.

Jacobandnickolas

March, 4, 2012 AT 8:48 PM

Check fuel pump pressure.

Danny24

March, 4, 2012 AT 9:00 PM

Would the truck still run

March, 4, 2012 AT 9:09 PM

Since the MIL had came on, get a scan done to retrieve the trouble codes and see what is causing it. It could be the fuel pressure but others can also cause the problem.

As to how the truck would perform, it would depend on what is causing the problem and without understand what is causing it, there is no possibility of saying if it would run well.

If the engine can be started, yes you can continue to run it but you should get it checked asap. Most parts stores provides free scanning services, get them to scan it for you first.

Danny24

March, 5, 2012 AT 6:24 PM

What do these mean: memory to controller has been cleared within 50-100 engine starts. Low engine temperature, possible thermostat fault. Part throttle unlock(PTU) circuit, open or short detected. Air/fuel at limit

March, 6, 2012 AT 12:42 PM

Where did you get these?

Danny24

March, 6, 2012 AT 1:01 PM

I looked up how to get the codes by counting the blinks of the engine sign. It gave me 12, 17, 37, and 51.

March, 6, 2012 AT 2:54 PM

Which engine do you have?

Code 12

DRB displays BATTERY DISCONNECT. Condition is: Direct battery input to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) disconnected within last 50 key-on cycles.

Code 17

DRB displays ENGINE IS COLD TOO LONG. Condition is: coolant temperature stays less than normal operating temperature during vehicle operation.

Code 37

DRB displays TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH SOLENOID CIRCUIT. Condition
is: open or shorted condition detected in torque converter clutch solenoid circuit.

Code 37

DRB displays TRANS TEMP SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW. Condition is: voltage low at transmission temperature sensor.

Code 37

DRB displays TRANS TEMP SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH. Condition is: voltage high at transmission temperature sensor.

Code 51

DRB displays O2S STAYS BELOW CENTER (LEAN). Condition is: oxygen sensor input indicates lean air/fuel ratio during engine operation.

Danny24

March, 6, 2012 AT 4:47 PM

It is the 318