WONT STAY RUNNING

• Tim Sparks
  • 1994 DODGE RAM

I hav a 1994 dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9 in it. Recently I replaced the spark plugs bcuz when I was driving it before it would jus bog out somtimes like the spark plug wires wer bad I also replaced the wires. It was driving fine for about an hour then it all of a sudden was bogging out really bad. I parked it at my place now it wont stay runnin. Ive checked the firing order 3 times on it and checked the spark plugs. Nothin is wrong with them. And im sure its not out of timeing. Wat could be wrong with it

Friday, December 24th, 2010 AT 10:08 PM

• JDL

Use a gage and check fuel pressure. Did you visibly check for spark at the plugs? Any applicable mil codes?

Friday, December 24th, 2010 AT 10:21 PM
  • Tim Sparks

I dont hav a gauge and ther brand new plugs. But it doesnt help that I had 2 get them 4m autozone. Wats applicable mil codes

Friday, December 24th, 2010 AT 10:34 PM
  • JDL

Some of the national brand autostores will loan out a fuel pressure gage. You can use a known good spark plug or spark tester to check for spark at the plugs. You pull a spark plug wire from plug, stick tester in boot, ground metal part of tester to metal part of engine, engine cranking, watch for spark. In a bind, you can use a phillips screwdriver in the plug boot, hold metal shank close to metal part of engine, watch for spark to jump. Caution, I don't like to hold anything in my hand, that secondary voltage will bite, don't blame me.

If you cycle the ignition key, on--off, on--off, on, then the mil lite on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. An example, a code 23, you would have 2 quick fashes follow by a 4 second pause then 3 quick flashes. The pause is slightly longer between codes. Code 55 is end of message/codes. If I can learn to do it, anybody can.

Saturday, December 25th, 2010 AT 7:50 PM