MY CAR WAS RUNNING GREAT NO SIGNS OF ENGINE ...

1994 Dodge Colt

zacklang

March, 24, 2013 AT 6:29 PM

My car was running great, no signs of engine failure then it stalled at a light. I managed to get it going again only for a few minutes before it stalled again for good this time. I am getting lots of fuel but no spark so I have tracked it down to an ignition system problem.
well here is the real problem, my first thought was a faulty coil. After searching for the coil with no luck, and phoning a parts supplier that has no coil listed for this model, they must have changed it to an integrated coil system for this year.
so I was going to change the crank position sensor next but there is also no listing for this part for this year and model.
i cant find the mechanical book to check the specs for this car so I am wondering how much of the ignition system is integrated within the distributor. Is there any way you guys can check for this?
any year before 94, the last year they made this model, all these parts are not integrated into an electrical system so this would have been an easy fix. Or any other engine size for a 94, since I have the 15.L they just decided to make things complicated.
apart from replacing the ignition module, which would be worth more than the car at this point. The only other thing I can think of is the distributor. Any other thoughts before I go and spend $100 on this?

March, 24, 2013 AT 6:55 PM

Did you remove the diatributor cap and inspect for burned rotor or cracked cap.

Lets look at basics first

March, 24, 2013 AT 6:58 PM

There is a white wire going to the distributor. It should have 12 volts from the ignition switch key on.

Check this

hmac300

March, 24, 2013 AT 6:59 PM

Scan for codes first to see if or anything is wrong with ignition.
Using Voltmeter

1. Before entering on board diagnostics, see SERVICE PRECAUTIONS . Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Locate
next to fuse block. Connect volt meter positive lead to DLC self diagnostic test mode terminal and negative lead to eithe
Fig. 1 .
2. Turn ignition switch to ON position. Disclosure of ECM memory will begin. If 2 or more systems are non functional, the
increasing code number. Indication is made by 12 volt pulses of voltmeter pointer. A constant repetition of short 12 volt
normal. If system is abnormal, voltmeter will pulse between zero and 12 volts.
3. Signals will appear on voltmeter as long and short 12 volt pulses. Long pulses represent tens? Short pulses represent ones
and 3 short pulses indicate Code 43. After recording trouble code(s), perform necessary repair(s) to indicated circuit(s).

zacklang

March, 24, 2013 AT 7:30 PM

I dont have a volt meter but when I took off the distributor, I diddnt realize the key was switched on and it was recieving signals when it spun and making little electronic noises, so I would assume its recieving power

hmac300

March, 24, 2013 AT 7:32 PM

I fyou are going to asume that then check coiland dist/rotor cap yourproblm may be in that area like roy said.

zacklang

March, 24, 2013 AT 8:01 PM

Yea the cap checks out fine, no cracks corrosion or wear. I dont know how to check the coil since it is encased in the distributor

zacklang

March, 24, 2013 AT 8:12 PM

Thats why I think its the coil that is faulty. But to replace that I have to replace the entire distributor

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet