LE 2.2L EGR VALVE BYPASS CAPABLE?

1993 Toyota Camry

AlexandersMama2010

March, 13, 2011 AT 8:58 PM

1993 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L : EGR Valve bypass specifics? The EGR Valve was properly cleaned with Carb Cleaner, the car ran well for a short time, and is again stalling. I have been told that the Valve and the Valve Modulator can be bypassed by removing them both completely and screwing in a metal plate where the EGR Valve Port meets the engine, and that certain vacumm hoses need to be pinched or capped off. Also, what then do you do with the lower exhaust pipe leading from the crankcase to the bottom of the EGR Valve?

Egr Valve

merlin2021

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

You would need to cap it as well or it will be loud.

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

You can use a template-but when the engine starts to ping/detonate-which will increase the formation of oxides of nitrogen -best find where the problem is on the EGR system-

merlin2021

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:08 PM

Have you checked the valve to see if's it hold vacuum? Also clean out the port UNDR the egr, they fill up with carbon and cause this type of problem. If your stATE requires emmisins testing, doing what youre thinking about will make it impossible to pass. Scan for codes. Check that the valve hold vacuum and moves the pintle, if it doesnt, replace it. If it works clear the port!

AlexandersMama2010

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:13 PM

I already cleaned the port under the EGR, I soaked the lower part of the EGR Valve in Carb Cleaner overnight and scraped it with an awl, and we dont have emissions testing where we live, just trying to get by until next month until we can buy a new EGR Valve. It runs $180 and has to be prepaid for since it has to be shipped up to Alaska.

And the EGR Valve Modulator has had the filters inside cleaned.

AlexandersMama2010

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

Cap the exhaust pipe. Ok. Then there are the vacumm hoses leading from the EGR Valve and the EGR Valve Modulator, so these get pinched off I am assuming?

AlexandersMama2010

March, 14, 2011 AT 4:09 AM

Still no more responses? Whats the deal Car Pros, I have been donating off and on for two years.

merlin2021

March, 14, 2011 AT 9:26 AM

If you remove the egr. You do plug the vacuum lines.